This is part of The Broke and the Bookish‘s “Top Ten Tuesdays” meme.
Last Sunday was Mother’s Day here in the States, which means that it’s time to celebrate moms and all that they do. And that includes fictional moms. While fictional moms tend to bite the dust in YA (and indeed most genres), here are ten who not only survive, but thrive.
Ten kickass fictional moms are:
- Molly Weasley (Harry Potter). This is one fictional mom who truly needs no introduction. When she’s not knitting sweaters for all eight of her children (Harry is her son, don’t fight me), she’s killing Bellatrix Lestrange while dropping the most immortal line in the whole series: “NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU B*TCH!”
- Joyce Byers (Stranger Things). The whole town may think that poor, bedraggled Joyce has finally lost what few marbles she had left, but Joyce knows that she’s 1000% sane. She’ll never, ever, ever give up on her son—or any of the other lost, scared kids that she meets.
- Helen Parr/Elastigirl/Mrs. Incredible (The Incredibles). And I quote: “Leave saving the world to the men? I don’t think so! I don’t think so.” She keeps that attitude long after she becomes a married mother of three, and you know she’s going to pass those values on to her kids.
- Linda Belcher (Bob’s Burgers). She’s wacky, she sings a lot, and she loves her family like crazy—warts and all. Her kids are odd, but they’re bursting at the seams with confidence and self-love, in large part because Linda encourages them every h*ckin’ day of their lives.
- Ann Possible (Kim Possible). SHE’S LITERALLY A BRAIN SURGEON, GUYS. Ann is hella smart mom who encourages all of her kids to follow their passions, be they building robots or saving the world.
- Mrs. Bennet (Pride and Prejudice). Mrs. Bennet may not have the good sense that God gave a goose, but her heart is in the right place. Getting her daughters married, and fast, is the only way to ensure that they’ll survive after their father is gone. It’s not pretty, but it’s the truth, and Mrs. Bennet’s going to do her darndest to make sure her daughters will be okay.
- Sally Jackson (Percy Jackson and the Olympians). Sally does it all: capture Poseidon’s heart, raise a demigod son on her own, pursue her dreams as a writer, marry a nice mortal man, and use Medusa’s head to turn her ex and all his gross friends into a statue which she then sells for a bajilliion bucks. She is #goals, plain and simple.
- The Splendid Angharad (Mad Max: Fury Road). Squad mom Angharad is the clear leader of the Wives. Even when she’s hella pregnant, she’ll still clamber around a speeding war rig and use herself as a human shield. Nothing’s going to keep her from reaching the Green Place of Many Mothers.
- Joyce Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer). When Joyce found out that her daughter was the Slayer, did she panic? Did she tell Buffy, “No more slaying for you, young lady”? H*ck no. She bought some extra stakes and adopted every one of the Scoobies on the spot. H*ckin’ awesome mom.
- Marge Simpson (The Simpsons). Her home is a mess, her husband is a slob, her kids are out of control, she lives in a scrotty little town with no prospects…and yet, Marge is a wholesome, optimistic lady who loves her kids and husband to bits and is always willing to go to bat for what she thinks is right. She’s a perpetual bright spot in this colorful cartoon world.
Happy Mother’s Day!